Saturday, January 12, 2013

Travelling in the UK


Happy New Year! I am writing on a train from London to Aberdeen, Scotland where I will be staying with Caitlin. The train, just like everything on this continent, is so different than everything in India! It has been a really interesting transition back to the Western world. The things that have been hardest to get used to are things like being able to drink the water – I still keep spitting in the shower, and all those habits I picked up. London was very overwhelming at the beginning but it was interesting – the things that overwhelmed me most were things like the crowds and the noise, which were much worse in India but just so, so different. And it’s funny, while I would get so frustrated with how unorganized and loose things were in India, I’ve been feeling the opposite here and getting frustrated with how strict everything is here. I’ve come across so many obstacles while planning the rest of my trip around Europe that I could have easily talked (or bribed) my way out of in India. I’m not saying that that is always a good thing, and often things are easier and better when better organized, but it’s been hard to get used to!

I am spending the rest of this week in Scotland, then flying to Spain and spending time in Madrid and in Caceres where I have friends studying. Then I am going to Portugal for a few days by myself before flying to Copenhagen to see Kelsey! Then I will either fly or take the train down to France to stay with Katie.

It’s really hard to believe that all of this is really happening! I feel so lucky that I am able to do this – not only did I have my own amazing study abroad experience but I am getting a snippet of a bunch of others as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment